Skip to main content

Important Leisure Reading



I am starting into Rebecca Solnit's Field Guide for Getting Lost and loving it...read a review at Salon.com here.

And I finally indulged in purchasing Strunk & White's The Elements of Style illustrated by Maira Kalman.

The book's been burning a mark into the back of my mind since I first espied it on a shelf at the de Young bookstore. Man, I have epassed that book by like seven times now in various visits. It's mine now.

O.K., of course the original's an original. And how can we forget how amazing E.B. White is? But to update it smartly -- that is to dress it up just a bit and extraneously, but to a fashion -- it is such a smart idea, and maybe someday I will expound on it. For now, jus' git it.



it's like dew, sweet dew.

And now I see, in pulling images from the innernetz to prepare this spotted blog, that she (Kalman) was the one who did the sets for Mark Morris' Gertrude Stein's "Four Saints, Three Acts," and I loved that. My cousin David danced it. Please see below.

Comments

Miranda Wilkotz said…
Love love love Maira Kalman, my mother sent me The Principles of Uncertainty this fall and brought the children some of her children's books. Fantastic!

Popular posts from this blog

Why Go to A Conference Anyways?

@lidja @lyndakelly61 @futureofmuseums @creativemerc @museum_flavor pLz look http://tinyurl.com/qxlja4 &here http://bit.ly/q1mhV assoc./conf. grpthink @RichardMcCoy @DanielCull very import.

A Year-end Letter Update from James and Family

Dear Friends and Family, On the brink of the new year on December 31, 2019 we stood at the foot of Kehinde Wiley's brand new monumental equestrian sculpture in downtown Richmond at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. There were a bunch of families gathered around taking pictures together. Emblematic of this entire year and entitled “ Rumors of War ,” the monument depicts an unarmed Black man in heroic pose atop a horse. The man’s sneakers are in the stirrups, looking back over their shoulder like Napoleon as they ride forward up a ridge . It was a strange harbinger of the year that was, and how it’s going. Kamala Harris will be named our vice president in a few weeks. In between, the apocalyptic has been commonplace; I mean, what a year. Emil started high school this fall. Graduation this past spring from Mark Day School was likely the year’s highlight. Karen is still at Mark Day. This fall they've been doing hybrid learning. It’s the first time Karen and Emil have not been goi...

Facebookedness First Finale (part I): Naked in High School

Right around Yom Kippur this year, I did something on-line that felt really good. I was “social networking.” Over the past several months social networking sites like Facebook have overtaken porn sites in popularity, according to Reuters and an article last week in the UK Guardian . The article has been posted a lot on Facebook profiles and received a lot of diggs at DIGG.com . Everybody’s doing it, or at least “three in four US online adults,” according to a recent report by Josh Bernoff of Forrester Research. And that’s what is so amazing. The massive proliferation of Facebook and LinkedIn has brought it closer to the white pages than any earlier iteration of America On-line or other “services.” I been doing things on-line for years, right? But something was different this time. What did I do on Facebook? I atoned. I made recompense. And I reconnected with a group of old high school friends through Facebook about a stretch of time when we all defined ourselves together for a...