Skip to main content

Greil Marcus in LA Review of Books - "possibly the longest interview in the history of the internet"

facebook status

Can't wait to dig into this!! Thanks for sharing Daniel Schifrin http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?id=591 Los Angeles Review of Books - Simon Reynolds interviews Greil Marcus lareviewofbooks.org Like · · Share Ryyan LeBllanc likes this.

Timothy B Buckwalter it is possibly the longest interview in the history of the internet. Seriously. Yesterday at 2:11pm

James G. Leventhal whoa...you know it's going to be long when it begins" "Let's start with your name..." Yesterday at 2:29pm · Like · 1

Timothy B Buckwalter Yep. And then it goes on for miles about his name. Yesterday at 2:47pm · Unlike · 1

James G. Leventhal ‎Gravity Goldberg whoops, it ends up California Dreaming would have been the tie in for Greil Marcus ;) GM: My wife always says I'm a California Jew, meaning I'm not Jewish at all. I didn't know any Yiddish. I have non-Jewish friends in New York who knew far more Yiddish than I do. I was born in San Francisco, my mother was born in Portland. Before that her family was in Hawaii. So I come from a very Western family, and Jews in San Francisco have always been assimilated. Eastern family members would come over and say, "Where is the neighborhood?" They just didn't get it. I grew up in a Jewish family that had Christmas trees, we celebrated Christmas, it was a big-deal family gathering. But I'm Jewish, there's no question about that. I went to services, I went to high holidays, I had a bar mitzvah. It's a big part of my identity, no question. Yesterday at 8:56pm · Like

James G. Leventhal midway through...and now realize I have to read the interviewer's book http://www.amazon.com/Blissed-Out-Simon-Reynolds/dp/1852421991 Blissed Out www.amazon.com Mixing analysis with interviews, this study of rock music celebrates the "underg...See More 15 hours ago · Like

Timothy B Buckwalter If you are not super familiar with Post-punk, the best Reynolds book is Rip It Up. And I would loan you my copy, but I've already loaned to someone else (I forget who) and I don't have it anymore. It's a pretty straight forward history, so its a decent read. When he gets into analysis and essays, he begins to sound a but like Andy Rooney -- bemoaning how great the past was and sucky the present is. Which, obviously, it isn't. 12 hours ago · Like

James G. Leventhal wha?!?! "Andy and Jon studied under T.J. Clark, the great art historian, who later became a good friend of mine when he came to Berkeley and taught here for many years. But he was at Leeds when he taught some of the people in Gang of Four and the Mekons, and he had been a member of the Situationist group in the mid-sixties." 2 hours ago · Like

James G. Leventhal still throwing quotes at ya Timothy B Buckwalter "I hated Ronald Reagan. I hated him as governor of California, when he was a much meaner, crueler person in his public persona than he was as president. But he was a cold, evil bastard and I hated him. I hated what he did to this country and I hated what he stood for. And I couldn't bear to look at the country — to seriously, intellectually, grapple with it, critically — in those years." loving this!! Am I actually going to have to wait til Sunday to read more???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BREAKING NEWS: USC to Absorb HUC in LA?

This just in from "The God Blog." A source told Jewish Journal editor-in-chief Rob Eshman that the University of Southern California and Hebrew Union College-Jewish institute of Religion, which already share some faculty and facilities, are working on a deal to fold the L.A. campus into USC as a Jewish studies program. “Its a win win,“ the source said. “HUC gets a big chunk of money for what it owns—about a block of prime real estate by the USC campus—and USC gets to solidify a Jewish studies and outreach program that it has been building for some time now.“ Hebrew Union College in Los Angeles has been having big problems -- a consolidation of resources may present a novel and impactful solution. VERY INTERESTING.

Why Go to A Conference Anyways?

@lidja @lyndakelly61 @futureofmuseums @creativemerc @museum_flavor pLz look http://tinyurl.com/qxlja4 &here http://bit.ly/q1mhV assoc./conf. grpthink @RichardMcCoy @DanielCull very import.

A Year-end Letter Update from James and Family

Dear Friends and Family, On the brink of the new year on December 31, 2019 we stood at the foot of Kehinde Wiley's brand new monumental equestrian sculpture in downtown Richmond at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. There were a bunch of families gathered around taking pictures together. Emblematic of this entire year and entitled “ Rumors of War ,” the monument depicts an unarmed Black man in heroic pose atop a horse. The man’s sneakers are in the stirrups, looking back over their shoulder like Napoleon as they ride forward up a ridge . It was a strange harbinger of the year that was, and how it’s going. Kamala Harris will be named our vice president in a few weeks. In between, the apocalyptic has been commonplace; I mean, what a year. Emil started high school this fall. Graduation this past spring from Mark Day School was likely the year’s highlight. Karen is still at Mark Day. This fall they've been doing hybrid learning. It’s the first time Karen and Emil have not been goi