Skip to main content

Confessed Ignorance and the Ecstasy of Influence

Rob Gronkowski poses with his new cereal “Gronk Flakes” which are available at Stop & Shops throughout New England.
Rob Gronkowski’s new cereal “Gronk Flakes” hit store shelves on Tuesday, and the Patriots tight end was on hand to celebrate at a Walpole Stop & Shop.
Who is this guy?! He looks like Stephen Malkmus!

So I'm all "gronk?"  "Gronk?"  "What the F' is that phrase that guru and GLAMrous mentor Michael P. Edson uses?!..."  Gronk? Grunk? Grok?


GROK!  And so I learn it is from Heinlein:


grok664 up95 down
Taken from the book 'Stranger in a Strange Land,' literally meaning 'to drink' but taken to mean 'understanding.' Often used by programmers and other assorted geeks.
It took me a long time to grok Perl, but now I can read it without going blind!

I get it!  And it's beautiful!!  Drink to me only with thine eyes...


My brother read science fiction, I didn't.  Maybe because of that.  I never understood why I should.

I also had a tough time reading Eggers' Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (thanks, Adam, but -- sorry...I just can't do it...even if Eggers' time-space feels so much like mine...).

Now I find myself reading A Hologram for the King, which kinda feels like today-based science fiction.  I am likely to meet Dave Eggers in a couple of weeks, and I feel like I have to have read at least one of his complete works.  The novel is happening in a very American now, but it feels a little like science fiction, and I get the page-turning aspect and how over-arching, metaphor-like actions help us take one small step outside of our own lives.  This out-of-body sensation has us just far enough outside the psychic skin to turn around and look at ourselves or those in our close circles -- better to appreciate or criticize, emulate, learn or smolder in self-loathing or onanistic admiration.

And I am right now into several essays of Jonathan Lethem's The Ecstasy of Influence.  Only to find that he was an avid science fiction reader, then writer.  When he writes about science fiction it brings back all these images of my youth and the deep libraries my brother kept of Herbert, Heinlein and the old science fiction magazines he collected.

I wanna write a great essay that connects Joyce's Ulysses and Pavement's Crooked Rain Crooked Rain.  They'se is the stories of my life written by better writers.  After I finish the Hologram book and the Lethem essays, I might go on to Lethem's 33 1/3 book on Fear of Music.  Will Lethem write about i Zimbra and the influence of Romanian Jewish avantgardistes like Tzara on Ball and others?  I digress... 


For now I'll leave this short post as a tribute to influencers in my life, and likely never get to science fiction, alas.  It seems like so many people I love do, so here's to them.  Thanks, Mike, to opening my eyes to Heinlein, martians, and drinking life in to the fullest.

Happy Thanksgiving.


Comments

This comment has been removed by the author.
James - - you're a maniac!! (Glad that you found the true meaning of #grok)

Popular posts from this blog

BREAKING NEWS: USC to Absorb HUC in LA?

This just in from "The God Blog." A source told Jewish Journal editor-in-chief Rob Eshman that the University of Southern California and Hebrew Union College-Jewish institute of Religion, which already share some faculty and facilities, are working on a deal to fold the L.A. campus into USC as a Jewish studies program. “Its a win win,“ the source said. “HUC gets a big chunk of money for what it owns—about a block of prime real estate by the USC campus—and USC gets to solidify a Jewish studies and outreach program that it has been building for some time now.“ Hebrew Union College in Los Angeles has been having big problems -- a consolidation of resources may present a novel and impactful solution. VERY INTERESTING.

Why Go to A Conference Anyways?

@lidja @lyndakelly61 @futureofmuseums @creativemerc @museum_flavor pLz look http://tinyurl.com/qxlja4 &here http://bit.ly/q1mhV assoc./conf. grpthink @RichardMcCoy @DanielCull very import.

A Year-end Letter Update from James and Family

Dear Friends and Family, On the brink of the new year on December 31, 2019 we stood at the foot of Kehinde Wiley's brand new monumental equestrian sculpture in downtown Richmond at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. There were a bunch of families gathered around taking pictures together. Emblematic of this entire year and entitled “ Rumors of War ,” the monument depicts an unarmed Black man in heroic pose atop a horse. The man’s sneakers are in the stirrups, looking back over their shoulder like Napoleon as they ride forward up a ridge . It was a strange harbinger of the year that was, and how it’s going. Kamala Harris will be named our vice president in a few weeks. In between, the apocalyptic has been commonplace; I mean, what a year. Emil started high school this fall. Graduation this past spring from Mark Day School was likely the year’s highlight. Karen is still at Mark Day. This fall they've been doing hybrid learning. It’s the first time Karen and Emil have not been goi