Skip to main content

Victor Ries at 100



I am right now helping to make this a longer, feature documentary, working with a group of volunteers, supporting Bill Chayes. Victor Ries was for some time an artist in-residence at the MAGNES.

Comments

Jennifer Sorkin said…
Dear Mr. Leventhal:

I was thrilled to find your documentary-in-progress on Victor Ries, and would like to get in touch with both you and him, if he is still alive.

I am an art historian and PhD candidate at Yale University, and I am working on a dissertation about women potters in the 1950s, one of whom is Marguerite Wildenhain, with whom Victor Ries worked closely from 1949-1952 at Pond Farm.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience; I have plans to come to the Bay Area at the end of this month.

Best wishes,

Jennifer Sorkin
jennifer.sorkin@yale.edu
Anonymous said…
Ms. Sorkin,

Mr. Ries is doing well and currently resides at the Reutlinger Community for Jewish Living in Danville.

Popular posts from this blog

Why Go to A Conference Anyways?

@lidja @lyndakelly61 @futureofmuseums @creativemerc @museum_flavor pLz look http://tinyurl.com/qxlja4 &here http://bit.ly/q1mhV assoc./conf. grpthink @RichardMcCoy @DanielCull very import.

A Year-end Letter Update from James and Family

Dear Friends and Family, On the brink of the new year on December 31, 2019 we stood at the foot of Kehinde Wiley's brand new monumental equestrian sculpture in downtown Richmond at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. There were a bunch of families gathered around taking pictures together. Emblematic of this entire year and entitled “ Rumors of War ,” the monument depicts an unarmed Black man in heroic pose atop a horse. The man’s sneakers are in the stirrups, looking back over their shoulder like Napoleon as they ride forward up a ridge . It was a strange harbinger of the year that was, and how it’s going. Kamala Harris will be named our vice president in a few weeks. In between, the apocalyptic has been commonplace; I mean, what a year. Emil started high school this fall. Graduation this past spring from Mark Day School was likely the year’s highlight. Karen is still at Mark Day. This fall they've been doing hybrid learning. It’s the first time Karen and Emil have not been goi...

Facebookedness First Finale (part I): Naked in High School

Right around Yom Kippur this year, I did something on-line that felt really good. I was “social networking.” Over the past several months social networking sites like Facebook have overtaken porn sites in popularity, according to Reuters and an article last week in the UK Guardian . The article has been posted a lot on Facebook profiles and received a lot of diggs at DIGG.com . Everybody’s doing it, or at least “three in four US online adults,” according to a recent report by Josh Bernoff of Forrester Research. And that’s what is so amazing. The massive proliferation of Facebook and LinkedIn has brought it closer to the white pages than any earlier iteration of America On-line or other “services.” I been doing things on-line for years, right? But something was different this time. What did I do on Facebook? I atoned. I made recompense. And I reconnected with a group of old high school friends through Facebook about a stretch of time when we all defined ourselves together for a...